Development Log 9/11/18

After having to take a hard reset this past weekend on development of what I’m tentatively calling Code Name: Arrow and Shield, it’s back working again. For some reason all of the scripts I had written had become unusable by unity, and no amount of googling would fix the issue, so I just started from scratch.

So what’s different this time around? Well, for starters, I’m attempting to using “managers” to handle all of the in-game stuff (for lack of a better word)

GameManager.cs controls all of the extra bits, such as super powers, power weapons, but eventually will contain all of the stats driving the game so that buffs/debuffs can be created.

I’m still trying to figure out the loot drop system and have purchased and asset that is supposed to do a lot of the heavy lifting for me, but in my limited experience I find that I end up having to change stuff more one those than I do on things I purpose built.

One of the more complicated things I’ve been able to navigate is how some of the script associations are managed. They’ll need to be extracted at some point and managed better, BUT at this juncture they all work. The weirdest one is the bow prefab. The arrow itself utilizes a projectile script that I modified to OnCollisionEnter check for a particular tag, then if it finds it, find the zombieHealth.cs file and apply the damage from the arrow to said zombie.

I’ll update later with some videos of it working. Pretty spectacular so far.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s